Kiva is the world's first and largest crowdfunding platform for social good. We run an online marketplace (www.kiva.org) for crowdfunded microloans that serves the financially excluded. Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to expand financial access at global scale. We aim to drive social impact and enable opportunity while providing a borrower-to-lender connection: "Loans that change lives."
Our mission is to expand financial access to help underserved communities thrive. In just 13 years, we have raised more than $1.1 billion in loan capital for 2.7+ million borrowers in over 80 countries. Our lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month. Headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in Portland, New York City, Nairobi, and Bangkok, Kiva's team has 100+ employees and 500+ volunteers worldwide.
Since its founding, volunteerism has been an integral part of Kiva's foundation and success. As a Kiva Intern, you will contribute your passion, drive, ideas and expertise to expanding our reach and impact while taking on immediate and significant responsibilities within your team. In addition to learning on the job, you'll partake in a variety of educational, social, and professional development workshops and events that will accelerate your professional growth while learning about Kiva and the non-profit, technology, and microfinance sectors.
Through this volunteer internship, we're hoping to provide a high caliber learning experience. With the completion of our internship program, you will take away many in-demand job skills. Additionally, all Kiva interns will gain exposure to foundational microfinance concepts and ongoing professional development tailored to your career goals. This position will also put you in contact with a wide array of employees around the world, giving you a jump start on networking opportunities.
Kiva Internships are 6-month, part-time (24-32 hours per week), volunteer positions. This position is located in our San Francisco, CA office (preferred) or Portland, OR, with the option to work remotely.
Reporting to Investment Managers, the Investment Analysis Intern will contribute to the overall goals of the Investments Team and the organization through the execution of a customized work plan over the course of 6 months.
- Due diligence: Review and vet investment application requests from social enterprises applying to become a Field Partner in the Kiva Labs portfolio. Research companies, analyze their financials, prepare follow-up questions, carry out reference calls, propose the appropriate credit structure and determine the quality of the investment opportunity.
- Financial Monitoring and Analysis: Assist with the collection of documents and the analysis of assigned Field Partner's financial performance
- Interest Rate/Borrower Cost Analysis: Assess the total cost of the loan product offered by field partners and work with Kiva's impact team to develop a consistent process for comparison with the local and regional markets
- Business Development: Support with lead generation and developing networks to source and recruit new investments for the Labs portfolio, with an emphasis on achieving impact at scale. Screen investments and review applications
- Kiva Labs Strategic Projects: Help ideate, test, and operationalize new products, service offerings and processes that expand the Kiva platform, bring efficiencies to Field Partners and amplify Kiva's impact.
- Professional development and skills workshops
- Casual, dog-friendly office
- Access to Kiva's network of Kiva Fellowship and Internship Alumni
- Free snacks, drinks, and occasional baked goods
- Optional participation in Kiva social activities, including:
- Athletic club teams
- Movie and game nights
- Happy hours
- References gladly given for successful participants
- Full professional fluency in Spanish
- At least 21 years of age or older by July 14th, 2020
- Able to commit part-time for a 6-month term
- Positive attitude and dedication to Kiva's mission
- Strong analytical abilities to assess business models, financial statements, loan products and social impact
- Ability to take initiative, remain highly organized and work independently
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to tailor communications to a wide variety of audiences and stakeholders, across multiple cultures.
- Cultural sensitivity, which may include prior work or volunteer experience in a cross-cultural setting
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail
- 2+ years' work experience in a related field (banking, microfinance, international development, or social enterprise)
- Professional proficiency in Portuguese
- Experience managing and cultivating external partnerships
- Demonstrated project management experience and ability to move multiple projects forward at once.
- Comfortable learning new technologies
- Process-oriented thinker with an eye for efficiency
The weekly time commitment for a Kiva Internship is 24-32 hours per week, from July 14th, 2020 - December 31st, 2020. Please make sure you have the availability to commit for the entire internship period before submitting an application.